Wednesday, August 03, 2011

A blog update and a preview of Trans Rockies Run August 21 to 26


I have not written in some time so I thought I best get on it.  I have had a very busy summer being away every weekend in the mountains running as I prepare for the Trans Rockies Run.  As well, my day time life as a Project Manager has been busy with a tough project with high visibility.  Those that know me realize that I only take on complex and challenging gigs.  My last two projects have been super rewarding, and are well known in the marketplace.

I am happy to be running consistently, and gaining strength that has not been around for the last two years do to injuries and the inability to run.  Bike racing has been the focus over the last two years as such.  However, since Banff Bike Fest I have been on the bike very little as running has been occupying all my time; trail running has a way of making the legs very sore!  I do miss the bike, and I am very excited about cyclo cross starting upon my return from the Trans Rockies Run.  I really was sad when I tore two tendons in my calf half way through cylco cross season last year.  I will also be competing in cross country running in the fall as Nationals are in Vancouver this year.  I would love to be able to obtain a top 10 finish in the Masters (over 35 years of age). 

The Trans Rockies run begins on August 21.  I began my three week taper toward the race this past Monday.  On Sunday, I will do a 20km trail race in Canmore as part of my preparation and taper.  I am very excited, nervous, and frankly scared of doing the Trans Rockies Run.  I love cross country running, but trail running has been an awakening.  It is tough, and draining.  The downhills have been hard on the legs, but I feel my quads and toes have adjusted to the impact and jarring.  The scenery and beauty of my own back yard of Kananaskis and the Rockies has been very rewarding in my journey.  I am very excited to see beauty of Colorado through running from Buena Vista to Beaver Creek.

What is the race all about?  The elevation is all above 7,000 feet.  A total of 62% of the race is between 7,000 and 10,000 feet and the remaining 38% is between 10,000 and 13,000 feet.  In terms of surface, 88% is on trail and 12% on paved roads and pathways.  The breakdown of stages are as follows:

Stage 1: Buena Vista to Railroad Bridge - 20.9 miles, 2,550 feet elevation gain
Stage 2: Vicksburg to Twin Lakes - 13.3 miles, 3,250 feet elevation gain
Stage 3: Leadville to Nova Guides at Camp Hale - 24.2 miles, 2,800 feet elevation gain
Stage 4: Nova Guides at Camp Hale to Red Cliff - 14.1 miles, 2,900 feet elevation gain
Stage 5: Red Cliff to Vail - 23.6 miles, 4,200 feet elevation gain
Stage 6: Vail to Beaver Creek - 23.4 miles, 5,100 feet elevation gain

In summary, we will cover 119.5 miles, 20,800 feet elevation gain.

The Trans Rockies Run is done with a partner.  The rules are pretty simple:  you have to do the run starting and finishing together.  At all control points, and at the finish of each stage, the team must be within the allowable time limit of two minutes of each other.  A penalty of 60 minutes is assessed otherwise.

My teammate for the event was Dr. Sharisse Kyle, but she tore her meniscus.  As such, I had to find a new partner.  I am happy to say that Heather Johnson will be joining me.  Heather is a strong runner, and I am happy that she agreed to participate with me.  Heather is getting married on August 6, and it looks like this will be her honeymoon! 

No comments: