Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Great Start to Base Training!


The Holiday Bowl Parade and 5km race took place in San Diego on Monday. A few things our friends to the South do well include: parades, football, and 5km races. This is one of the coolest races I have ever run. It starts right before the parade and travels down the parade route. The streets are lined with people and there is definitely no shortage of fast runners. The course was actually 3 miles and not 5km, so about 160 meters short of 5km.

Both Shari Boyle and I took in the race. Shari ran an awesome race posting 16:53 for 3 miles. I have only had Shari doing base mileage with a bit of tempo. So it is great to see her strength improving along the way. She is running better than she ever has and it looks like the last year of training is really beginning to pay off. The top six women were:

CHRISTY BECKMAN 16:20
BRIDIE MCCAREY 16:30
SHARI BOYLE 16:53
KYLIE EDWARDS 17:20
ABIGAIL STILES 17:25
MICHELLIE JONES 17:27

I ran 20:16. Happy but know I had a faster time in me. Getting lost on my bike the day before, two flats, and a couple of miles walking barefoot to get home made for tired legs. However, I am very optimistic about my body continuing to get stronger as my osteitis pubis, knee and hip issues from being hit by the car continues to mend. Each week I feel my strength coming back and almost look and feel like a runner again.

It was a pleasure working with Shari over the last 18 months, however, she decided to move to Oklamhoma and pursue a personal/coaching relationship with Andrea Ratkovic, former pro cyclist. Keep pace with Shari by checking her out at her myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/shariakaspeedyredbull.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you two got in some good training. It was definitely hard to get in the long runs in -20 weather. Look forward to running with you both this year.